Ingredients (serves 6-8)
2.5 kg venison (replace if necessary with lamb or beef)
3 tablespoons chopped ginger
3 tablespoons chopped garlic
2 large chopped onions
2 tablespoons beef stock
1 tin tomato puree (115 g)
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon chutney
5 bay leaves
4 carrots (diced)
16 potatoes (diced)
125 ml olive oil
4-5 liters of water
Salt and pepper
1. In Africa, a big African iron pot is used, if you do not own an iron pot, use a pot with thick bottom.
2. Put the oil in saucepan and warm up when the oil is hot add the ginger, garlic and onion. Let them brown for approx. 3 minutes.
3. Add beef stock, paprika and the meat. Let the meat has increased until it produces “juice”
4. Get a lid on and cook over medium heat for approx. 15 minutes
5. Then add tomato puree and chutney.
6. Put on the lid to cover and simmer for approx. 5 minutes.
7. Add 3 liters of water and bay leaves, simmer over low heat.
8. Keep an eye on the stew and add more water if necessary.
9. Add carrots and potatoes in the saucepan. The stew is finished when the carrots and potatoes are done.
10. Season with salt & pepper.
11. Serve with mashed potatoes or rice.